Mead,Colorado
7.9K views

Lifetime Fitness clubs are not after your well being. They are after your money. I recommend to all people not to even join that club. It's a scam place.

I added my children to the active membership status in the beginning of summer, theye were added immediately and the whole month is billed, it doesn't matter when during the month they were added. As they did not go there frequently (one of the two went only once) and schools started, I want to take them away.

The first thing they hit you with is the Full 30 days notice you need to give them, meaning if you give a notice on September 14th, you will continue paying until October 31th. In addition I will be charged a $15 downgrade fee. This is not fitness, it's Greed.

Try to call the management, the calls will go to voicemail.

The 30+ days cancellation policy (either by certified mail return receipt requested, or by visiting a club prior to the 1st day the month) is a real ripoff. These jokers will not take a cancellation by phone, and make it as inconvenient as possible for members to cancel.

Product or Service Mentioned: Lifetime Fitness Membership.

Comments

I added my sister to my primary account and she is travelling for 4 months. I went in to freeze her account but they told me I cannot freeze just one account.

I have to freeze both accounts!???

Why would I pay for someone who is out of town? Why do they have to make it hard?

What OP describes is precisely what I'm going through with Lifetime Fitness right now. Stay away from these bandits.

#1519346

I cancelled, followed the 30 days rule and they still charged me, TWICE. I got the first charge removed and then they charged me again.

I have to go back in and get the 2nd charge removed.

But 1st I am calling my credit card company to block the charges if it ever happens again. Such a scam.

Yes, same here. 30 day notice plus a $10 service fee added to my monthly bill.

I have problem with this as well. Upon moving, this was last thing I forgot to do - to go and cancel.

I call them instead, saying I moved and if I can proceed with cancellation over the phone. They did no, I have to physicly sign the paperwork and be changed another month. For what? I am throwing away money!

Very disappointed. Not going back there, even if we move back.

24 Hour Fitness had a similar policy, they were sued and now the policy is different. Just saying.

What is the point of making it difficult for members to cancel. As a fitness gym you should WORK HARD to keep your members, not make it HARD for them to quit.

to Anonymous #1112283

Bottom line, they have no ethics and horseshit customer care. Their leader is a complete *** also. *** Lifetime Fitness!

I am also not happy with this sell technique. I believe there are many people who are not happy with this business practice.

If all of us join the lawsuit against Lifetime, will it reasonable?

to KC at MN #1449942

I agree... would love to start a class action suit.

Highland Park, Texas, United States #639322

Wow, do you people read your contracts? Every gym makes you give a notice before the new billing cycle.

Period. I have been a member at Golds, 24 Hour, Fitness 19, The Met, Ballys and now Lifetime. I have had to pay another month at every gym when I quit after the new billing cycle. Its in your contract, even if you sign month to month.

Lifetime is an amazing gym.

It is expensive, but well worth the money. You all sound like a bunch of fat cry babies.

to jman #1519344

I quit, gave them the 30 day notice, paid until the 30 days were up and they charged me again TWICE!! I followed the rules and they still screwed me.

to jman #1519348

You have to always pay another month. If you tell them on July 1 you’re not renewing any more, you’ll have to pay July and August.

to jman #1583903

Jman, sounds like you work for Lifetime. If you disagree with the opinions of these folks, why are you reading them?

I had the same experience. My son moved away. I called in September, and was told i had to come in.

I went in on Oct 1st, and now i have to sill pay for October AND November, and NO, they do NOT tell you this when you sign up, nor would they produce a copy of this policy for me. People are allowed to express their frustrations regarding this policy, without some steroid *** hole like you calling them fat crybabies, you ***

Alpharetta, Georgia, United States #631894

When I walked in and requested to put my LT membership on hold, I was asked to write a letter to that effect, and because I had requested 1 day after being billed for that month, I was told that I would be billed 1 more month. Grudgingly, I agreed.

Now, it's been 2 months beyond the 2nd month, and I just saw my CC being billed again. When the 1st wrong billing occurred, I called the LT branch and spoke to someone, and was asked, DO U HAVE A COPY OF THE LETTER THAT YOU GAVE TO OUR REPRESENTATIVE. Really guys? I am going to fight them tooth and nail.

And their corporate it going to hear from me. And the Media in Atlanta, including Clark Howard show is going to hear from me. And RipOffReport.com is going to get a new entry.

And every forum, including Facebook, Twitter, Google+ will hear about this on a weekly basis till LT pays me back every cent they have stolen from me. AND, the day I find the copy of the letter I have somewhere, I will sue them if they do not stop this nonsense and pay me back immediately.

to Muur #1236951

You should had called your bank or credit card company and block any charges from a company so they can't do anything about it. I still go to the gym because I'm to lazy to change gym. Its not cheap and its really not worth it when it's just a LA Fitness with better marketing.

to Muur #1449945

Same thing happened to me. I called and they made me come in.

I came in and cancelled my membership and called their corporate office. They charged me for two months of no use (said their policy was to give 3o days notice and that I had to pay a full month no end prorations).But they are still charging me. They stated they knew I came in on the day in question, they have in their notes (I took a picture of the manager's card and have a time stamp on my phone). But I assumed she processed my cancelation and she did not!

She is saying I failed to provide my signature! I can't prove that I did. I was there, they know it, they know I came in to cancel as they wouldn't allow it over the phone. And now they have an additional 400$.I am disputing via CC.

I have perfect credit so I know my CC company will back me but I fear retaliation. They are unscrupulous to the core.

Houston, Texas, United States #599906

The Houston Willowbrook Lifetime Fitness will take advantage of you when you least suspect it. They told me that they do not have long term contracts and you can suspend, cancel anytime.

I put my credit card down for mine and my son's separate membership.

My son started the personal training and month by month he would extend to the next month and I was prepared each month approx 1000.00 would be charged on my card. He had the trainer July, August, September and no surprises all was well. In October he wanted the last month for a while for several reasons and one of them was I only agreed to pay for up to 3 months just to get him back in shape. He told them and he stated he would start back up later.

They had him sign the contract as usual but this time they put TBD on how long which can mean anything and also can be a long term contract. They did not have it for one month, they charged the next month, and I did not catch it until I saw my card. They said they were planning to charge every month even if he was not going. He was not going because he did not think he had more sessions.

They would not refund, they said they could not do anything about it. So they commercial for LA Fitness that talks about them draining your back account, they will when you least expect it. I got my credit card company involved and they are handling this as I am not going to pay this. I am about to cancel the membership now of the family as I love the club but don't like this type of tactics.

Cory was one of the trainers and the other trainer filling in as well as the manger, none of them will refund. By the way, you can not cancel by phone, by email, by fax. Only in person or certified mail. They do this so they get extra money from people.

If you have moved, or in a situation where the certified mail or in person is not convenient, it makes their cancellations less. That should be against the law, if you tell someone you want to cancel via fax, email, or phone, you should be able to cancel. They allow you to join via phone. That is how I originally joined.

So you really need to be careful with them. They have a good gym but it is when you don't want it they will take advantage of you. The trainers are all about money. Their ethics is questionable.

The trainers give themselves raises by employing these types of tactic. Shame on you Willowbrook Houston TX Lifetime Fitness employees, managers, and trainers. You are no different than any other thief when someone turns their back. But the real problem is Lifetime Fitness Organization as they employ and foster this type of environment.

I would not be able to live with myself doing this. But that is just me.

to AboutToBeAFormerCustomer Houston, Texas, United States #599910

One more thing, if this does not get settled, I will be posting on a website for anyone that has been deceived by Lifetime Fitness in this way, if they want to join a class action lawsuit.

Stay tuned and come back here as I will be posting the site once I know for sure they are not going to take care of this problem. I should do it anyway since it has cause hours of grief and time trying to take care of it.

JSY1221

I belong to lifetime in Columbia MD and the only reason I stay is because of the hours and the month to month, otherwise the staff is horrible and the management is ignorant. Everything that people write is correct, if you remove someone from your membership it costs you, if you add someone they overcharge, if you want to cancel you have to send a certified letter and give 30 days notice. I am just waiting for a 24 hour fitness to open in my area and then I am done with lifetime..it's true...they are all about the bottom line they couldn't care less about customers!

Just tried to use their free 7 day pass, got there oh sorry columbia only offers a one day pass. I didn't see when I selected the gym it said they offer a one day pass I only saw the verbiage of when you hit submit you agree to a bunch of stuff and that the pass is for 7 days. I think I should call the BBB